Operating a large fleet of school buses that transport children requires an extensive amount of planning and reviewing of roles and responsibilities. Sudden changes can happen on a daily basis and GYPSD”s transportation department takes pride in being prepared for the unexpected including inclement weather, traffic delays or mechanical issues. For transportation to run smoothly, everyone must work together, including our students, schools, parents, school bus drivers and the department to ensure that all students have a safe ride to and from school.
Grande Yellowhead Public School Division has a variety of ways for parents to stay informed of route or driver changes, and how to communicate their concerns, or to provide valuable feedback to our attention. We expect our school bus drivers to operate at all times in a safe and caring manner, and expect our drivers, parents, students, and co-workers to be treated in a fair and courteous way.
We encourage all parents, schools and all stakeholders to contact the Transportation Services office with any safety concerns, or questions regarding school bus transportation during regular business hours.
- Sign up for email alerts through our Bus Link, and stay advised of when your child’s bus route is delayed or cancelled.
- Accompany your child to their bus stop and ensure they know a safe route to and from the stop before the first day of school.
- Respect the bus driver at all times.
- Discuss what to do and plan for when the school bus is late or cancelled.
- Ensure that your child(ren) is at their bus stop at the designated time. School bus drivers cannot wait for tardy students as this will result in late times for the remainder of students on the route.
- Discuss and review the school bus rider rules with your child(ren) and be aware of expected student conduct while riding on the bus.
- Practice proper traffic safety rules with your child(ren) to remind them to be aware around traffic and school buses.
- Remember that students are required to load or unload the school bus at their designated stop, and require parent permission to load or unload at an alternate stop.
- Permission may be provided by note or telephone call to the driver, the student’s school or the Transportation office during business hours.
- Notify your school bus driver if your child(ren) will not be riding the school bus.
- Provide written or verbal permission for all guest riders to the bus driver, from the parent or caregiver. Parents should always check with their school bus driver as some routes are operating at full capacity and there may not be room for guest riders.
- Notify your bus driver or Transportation Services when school bus service is no longer required.
- Remember that when a student causes damage to a school bus, the division may seek reimbursement of the repair cost from the student’s parents/ guardians.
- Familiarize yourself with our weather guidelines.
Your cooperation in supporting our efforts to safely transport all students is sincerely appreciated. Please find below further important information regarding transportation: