There are many reasons why a school bus route may be delayed or cancelled. When there are route delays or cancellations, parents, schools, students and interested stakeholders have options to stay informed ensuring they receive instant notification when there is a change in the status of a bus route.
Our first priority is always the safety and well-being of students. Due to the varied reasons for school bus delays or cancellations, school bus drivers are not able to personally call affected families and parents must be diligent when staying up-to-date on the status of their child’s school bus route. Click here or on the school bus icon on the top of our website to sign up for email notification when your child’s bus route is cancelled or delayed.
All school bus route cancellations and delays in excess of 10 minutes are posted at www.gypsd.ca and announced on the following local radio stations:
Parents, students, caregivers and schools can stay up to date by:
- Listening to one of the local radio stations
- Check the gypsd website for school bus updates
- Sign up for email alert when your child’s route is delayed or cancelled
- Or contact GYPSD’s Transportation Services Departments at 780-723-6170 or 1-800-723-2564 between the hours of 7am and 5pm
- The Director of Transportation Services (or designate) will begin to check weather, road condition and temperature in Grande Cache, Hinton, Lobstick, and Edson areas at 5:00 am.
- If the temperature is – 36 C or colder or inclement weather conditions are in effect, the Director of Transportation Services may suspend bus service in areas affected.
- In the event there is a wind chill factor of -45 or more, the Director of Transportation Services may suspend bus service in areas affected.
- The Director of Transportation Services will source temperature, road and weather information by radio, TV and websites such as Environment Canada and The Weather Network and;
- Drivers in each area assigned to the driver fan out, will contact the Director of Transportation Services with area temperatures and road reports, when inclement weather conditions are in effect.
Cancelled or Delayed Bus Routes
- Drivers shall report route cancellations and delays in excess of 10 minutes to the Transportation Department or the Director of Transportation Services.
- Transportation Services will post school bus delays and cancellations on the BUS LINK at www.gypsd.ca
- Local Radio stations will broadcast bus status reports as posted on the website.
- School Bus Cancellations will be for the AM only. If weather conditions are predicted to worsen or last throughout the day the Director of Transportation Services may cancel bus service for the entire day.
Driver Fan Out
- Drivers should communicate with the designated driver in their area when considering the decision to cancel their school bus route.
- The designated driver will source information from other drivers in their area and report to the Director of Transportation Services assisting with compilation of weather and road information for the entire Division.
- The designated driver in each area will contact the Director of Transportation Services or designate if the temperature is – 36 C or colder or if weather/road conditions are extreme in their area.
- The Director of Transportation Services may utilize the Driver Fan-Out for the communication of route and /or inclement weather related information.
School Bus Drivers
If the school bus driver believes it is unsafe to operate a school bus, they may cancel their morning bus route or any portion thereof. Before cancelling their route the driver should:
- Contact other drivers in their area or parents along the route, to discuss current conditions.
- Make attempt to obtain weather and road information before cancelling.
- Drivers shall contact their designated driver if the temperature at their home is -36 or colder or if weather/road conditions are extreme in their area.
- If the driver has begun the morning bus route and conditions warrant termination of the route, the driver shall contact Transportation Services or the Director of Transportation Services before returning students to their residence as parents must be duly notified to ensure access to the residence is available.
Early Dismissal due to Deteriorating Weather Conditions
- When weather or road conditions deteriorate during the day, the Director of Transportation Services, in consultation with School Principals (or designate) may authorize any or all busses to leave the school prior to regular dismissal time.
- In the event of early dismissal the school (or bus driver) will make every attempt to contact parents and ensure adequate access to the residence is available.
- Information will be posted on the BUS LINK and broadcast on local radio stations.
- Parents are strongly urged to have alternate drop-off arrangements in place for children to be accepted by a neighbor or parent at home.
- Schools normally remain open even when school bus routes are cancelled in an area. Parents who choose to transport their child to school, shall ensure for the return home of their children at end of day.
Field Trip Considerations during Inclement Weather
- Field Trips should not operate in areas where inclement weather conditions are in effect or school bus cancellations have been posted due to inclement weather and road conditions.
- School Administrators or their designate, shall confirm weather and road conditions before permitting a field trip to depart from the school.
- If a driver is scheduled to operate a field trip in areas where inclement weather conditions are in effect, prior to departing they should contact Transportation Services or the school, to confirm if the field trip has been cancelled.