There are many reasons why a school bus route may be delayed or cancelled. When there are route delays or cancellations, parents, schools, students and interested stakeholders all must stay informed to ensure they receive instant notification when there is a change in the status of a bus route.
Our first priority is always the safety and well-being of students. Due to the varied reasons for school bus delays or cancellations, school bus drivers may not able to personally call affected families on the changed status of their child’s school bus route. Click here or on the school bus icon on the top of our website to sign up for email notification when your child’s bus route is cancelled or delayed.
All school bus route cancellations and delays in excess of 10 minutes are posted at www.gypsd.ca and announced on the following local radio stations: XM105 Whitecourt, the Rig in Whitecourt, and Real Country West in Edson and Hinton.
Parents, students, caregivers, and schools can stay up to date by:
- Listening to one of the local radio stations
- Check the gypsd website for school bus updates
- Sign up for email alert when your child’s route is delayed or cancelled
- Or contact GYPSD’s Transportation Services Departments at 780-723-6170 or 1-800-723-2564 between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm
- The Director of Transportation Services (or designate) will begin to check weather, road conditions, and temperature in Grande Cache, Hinton, Lobstick, and Edson areas at 5 am.
- If the temperature reaches – 36 C or colder, inclement weather conditions are in effect, or a driver deems it unsafe for driving conditions, the Director of Transportation Services may suspend bus service in areas affected.
- In the event there is a wind chill factor of -45 or more, the Director of Transportation Services may suspend bus service in areas affected.
- The Director of Transportation Services will source temperature, road, and weather information by radio, TV, and websites from various sources including Environment Canada and The Weather Network.
- Drivers in each area assigned to the driver fan out will contact the Director of Transportation Services with local area temperatures and road reports when inclement weather conditions are in effect.
Cancelled or Delayed Bus Routes
- Drivers shall report route cancellations and delays in excess of 10 minutes to the Transportation Department or the Director of Transportation Services.
- Transportation Services will post school bus delays and cancellations on the BUS LINK at www.gypsd.ca which will be updated on a regular basis.
- Local Radio stations will broadcast bus status reports as posted on the website.
- School bus cancellations will be for the entire day. Please note that parents who transport their children to school on a day when bus service has been suspended because of inclement weather or hazardous road conditions shall be responsible for the transport of their children at the end of the school day.
Field Trip Considerations during Inclement Weather
- Field trips scheduled where inclement weather conditions are in effect or when school bus cancellations have been posted due to inclement weather are subject to the school administrators’ decision.
- School administrators or their designate, shall confirm weather and road conditions before permitting a field trip to depart from the school.