School Bus Registration
Information on School Bus Registration
All passengers must be registered and fees must be paid prior to riding the school bus.
GYPSD Transporation Service cannot allow non-registered children onto a school bus. For access to a school bus ride in case of an emergency, please email Transporation Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents are required to review the School Bus Rider Rules with their children.
GYPSD uses the Bus Status App to keep parents informed of any cancellations or delays.
- All students, both new and returning riders, are required to complete the online registration form located below.
- An email following your registration form will be sent confirming your registration status within 10 business days. Please contact email email@example.com if you have not received this confirmation.
- Transportation Services confirms fee payment with Finance.
- Transportation Services enters the student onto a bus route and informs Bus Driver.
- Bus Driver contacts family with pick-up and drop-off times.
School jurisdictions are provided funding to transport eligible students to their designated school only.
Non-funded services are available through fees which are determined annually by the Board of Trustees and are posted in Policy 17, Appendix A.
Please read Policy 17- Student Transportation Services for more information.
Am I Eligible/ What is my Designated School?
Click here to see if your child is eligible to ride the bus for the 2022/2023 school year.
Also, please read the information below on Eligible and Ineligible students for the 2022/2023 school year.
Alberta Education funds school bus service for eligible students within GYPSD.
Alberta Education sets school jurisdiction boundaries and determines eligibility as students who reside 2.4 kms or more from their designated school.
All users of transportation services - including eligible students - must register for the school bus each year. This includes new students and kindergarten students.
The designated school is defined as the nearest school located within the student's attendance area.
Families have the right to determine where their children will attend school. However, families will be charged a school of choice fee if they want Transportation Services to bus their children to a non-designated school within GYPSD.
Alberta Education does not provide GYPSD funds to transport children to other school divisions.
Under the Student Transportation Regulation, school jurisdictions are not required to transport students to school who live under 2.4 kms (ineligible) from their designated school.
This is a parent's responsibility.
As per Board Policy 17, ineligible rider service is available. Bus service will be determined by Transportation Services based on:
- completion of the registration form prior to the registration deadline
- seat space on the requested route
- the ineligible rider service fee has been paid
How Do I Pay For Fees Owed?
Emergency Bus Access
- Transportation Services cannot transport a student that is not registered to ride a bus.
- Families may request a single ride for a non-registered student if there is an emergency with childcare.
- The request will be considered if:
- there is seat space on the bus route
- consent from either the parent/guardian or the principal has been received by Transportation Services, with the following information:
- full name of student and school
- emergency contact name and phone number
- where they are going
- name of the adult receiving them and their phone number
- which bus route they will ride
- reason for the emergency request
- Transportation Services will inform the bus driver
- The bus will not deviate from the normal route of time, nor will it make special stops for pick up or drop off.
(780) 723-4471 ext. 131