School Bus Registration
Am I Eligible/ What is my Designated School?
Do you know your child's designated school? Click here and select Which School Do I Attend to locate your attendance area school.
Eligibility for funded transportation service is determined by Alberta Education.
Transportation is free for eligible students.
Information on School Bus Registration
Did you know that all students in Alberta have a designated school? Make sure you know your child's designated school prior to confirming registration. Click on the tab below.
All passengers must be registered and fees for non-funded services must be paid by June 30th.
Non-registered children are not permitted onto school buses. For access to a school bus ride in case of an emergency, please email Transporation Services at email@example.com
Parents are required to review the School Bus Rider Rules with their children.
GYPSD uses the Bus Status App to keep parents informed of any cancellations or delays.
- All students, both new and returning riders, are required to complete the online registration form - scroll to the end of this page.
- An email following your registration form will be sent confirming your child's registration status within 10 business days. Please contact email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received this confirmation.
- If you are requesting a fee-based service, payment is required prior to confirmation of a seat. See below for the fee-based services offered.
- Transportation Services confirms fee payment with Finance.
- Transportation Services enters the student onto a bus route and informs Bus Driver.
- Bus Driver contacts the family with pick-up and drop-off times.
Fee-based services are available for families through a partial cost-recovery model.
Service fees are approved annually by the Board of Trustees and outlined in Policy 17, Appendix A.
Alberta Education funds school bus service for eligible students within GYPSD to attend school.
Alberta Education sets school jurisdiction boundaries and determines eligibility for students.
School boards set attendance areas for the schools within the jurisdiction. Attendance area boundaries ensure each school will have adequate enrollments to sustain school operations.
- Eligible students:
- children in kindergarten and students in grades 1-6 reside 1 kms or more from their attending school; and
- students in grades 7-12 reside 2 kms or more from their attending school; and
- student requires specialized transportation service.
All users of transportation services - including eligible students - must register for the school bus each year. This includes new students and kindergarten students.
The designated school is defined as the nearest school located within the attendance area. The attendance area is determined by the Board of Trustees.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: My child is eligible for transportation; can they be bused to a different school than their designated school?
Answer: No. Families can determine where they want their children to attend school; however, they are responsible for transporting their children to the school of choice.
- Parents may apply for school-of-choice busing if there is space on the bus and the two principals have agreed to the move.
- Bus seat space is prioritized for eligible students to attend their designated school.
Under the Student Transportation Regulation, school jurisdictions are not required to transport students who do not meet the criteria.
Getting children to school is a parent's responsibility.
As per Board Policy 17, ineligible rider service is available for a fee. Bus service will be determined by Transportation Services based on:
- completion of the registration form prior to the registration deadline
- seat space on the requested route
- the ineligible rider service fee has been paid
Alberta Education funds busing for one route based on the student's primary residence address and their designated school. Family may purchase a second bus route if there is seat space available.
Emergency Bus Access
- Transportation Services cannot transport a student that is not registered to ride a bus.
- Families may request a single ride for a non-registered student if there is an emergency with childcare.
- The request will be considered if:
- there is seat space on the bus route
- consent from either the parent/guardian or the principal has been received by Transportation Services, with the following information:
- full name of student and school
- emergency contact name and phone number
- where they are going
- name of the adult receiving them and their phone number
- which bus route they will ride
- reason for the emergency request
- Transportation Services will inform the bus driver
- The bus will not deviate from the normal route of time, nor will it make special stops for pick up or drop off.
(780) 723-4471 ext. 107